Skip to main content

Police took my car because they said it was involved in a felony how can i get it back or what should i do?

Rockledge, FL |
Filed under: Felony crime

they didnt show me or tell me any evidence they had to take my car so what should i do from here?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There will be a forfeiture proceeding. Often law enforcement will work out a settlement, charge you a given sum of money to get your vehicle back. Contact an attorney to help you with the negotiations and the process of this type of civil case.

  2. Hire an attorney to contact the police for more information and to return your vehicle.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  3. Florida law grants law enforcement the ability to seize property with the intention of moving for forfeiture of that property within a relatively short period of time, so you need to act quickly to preserve your rights. They must provide you with written notice of intent to forfeit your vehicle, which will contain language dealing with your right to an adversary preliminary hearing and how you must respond to the notice. Often times, they will claim that you used the vehicle in the commission of a felony. I have handled a number of these matters over the years.

    Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

  4. The other attorneys are right. Sometimes the police will let you buy your car back. You need to discuss this issue with your lawyer.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics