Police took my car because they said it was involved in a felony how can i get it back or what should i do?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rockledge, FL

they didnt show me or tell me any evidence they had to take my car so what should i do from here?

1. Amir A. Ladan

Pro

8

Answered . Florida law grants law enforcement the ability to seize property with the intention of moving for forfeiture of that property within a relatively short period of time, so you need to act quickly to preserve your rights. They must provide you with written notice of intent to forfeit your vehicle, which will contain language dealing with your right to an adversary preliminary hearing and how you must respond to the notice. Often times, they will claim that you used the vehicle in the commission of a felony. I have handled a number of these matters over the years.

2. Jason Michael Reid

7

Answered . There will be a forfeiture proceeding. Often law enforcement will work out a settlement, charge you a given sum of money to get your vehicle back. Contact an attorney to help you with the negotiations and the process of this type of civil case.

3. Mark H Randall

Pro

5

Answered . The other attorneys are right. Sometimes the police will let you buy your car back. You need to discuss this issue with your lawyer.

4. Frank Mascagni III

6

Answered . Hire an attorney to contact the police for more information and to return your vehicle.