Police took my car because they said it was involved in a felony how can i get it back or what should i do?

Rockledge, FL |
Filed under: Felony crime

they didnt show me or tell me any evidence they had to take my car so what should i do from here?

There will be a forfeiture proceeding. Often law enforcement will work out a settlement, charge you a given sum of money to get your vehicle back. Contact an attorney to help you with the negotiations and the process of this type of civil case.

Hire an attorney to contact the police for more information and to return your vehicle.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Florida law grants law enforcement the ability to seize property with the intention of moving for forfeiture of that property within a relatively short period of time, so you need to act quickly to preserve your rights. They must provide you with written notice of intent to forfeit your vehicle, which will contain language dealing with your right to an adversary preliminary hearing and how you must respond to the notice. Often times, they will claim that you used the vehicle in the commission of a felony. I have handled a number of these matters over the years.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

They say they have pictures of my car but haven't shown me anything they just want me to come down for questioning should I go?

Amir A. Ladan

Amir A. Ladan

I would advise you against going in for questioning without legal counsel. If they're asking you to come down for questioning, I recommend you hire a lawyer right away so that if you are taken into custody, you'll have someone in place and ready to defend you. I also would caution you against speaking with ANYONE about the circumstances other than your lawyer. Phone calls, e-mails, text messages and other forms of communication are not sufficiently protected to keep what you have to say private or confidential, so avoid discussing it with others.

The other attorneys are right. Sometimes the police will let you buy your car back. You need to discuss this issue with your lawyer.