Police Took an Item from Me, How Do i get it back?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I was arrested for using my mom's metrocard a couple of months ago. The Arresting Officer took my mom's metrocard and kept it and said he was going to send it somewhere, but didn't tell me anything else. I got an ACD and did community service and my case will be sealed in 6 months. Now how do i get my mom's metrocard back? I called my legal aid who represented me and she said the police was supposed to give me a voucher for whatever they took from me, but the officer did not do that. He just took it, gave me no voucher or no info on what was going to happen to it. How do i get it back? MY mom really needs the card.

1. Joshua R. Kahn

2

1

Answered . The metorcard would have been considered evidence in this case, which is why you didn't receive a property receipt for the metrocard. Now that the case is finished, the metrocard is no longer necessary as evidence. Your legal aid attorney needs to contact the police to get it back for you.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . Your lawyer can get a copy of the voucher from the DA. If it was vouchered as arrest evidence then the DA will need to give you a property release to take to 1 Police Plaza.

3. Ernest DuBose

2

1

Answered . Your attorney needs to contact the ADA handling the case. Your attorney can get it for you