Skip to main content

Police Took an Item from Me, How Do i get it back?

New York, NY |

I was arrested for using my mom's metrocard a couple of months ago. The Arresting Officer took my mom's metrocard and kept it and said he was going to send it somewhere, but didn't tell me anything else. I got an ACD and did community service and my case will be sealed in 6 months. Now how do i get my mom's metrocard back? I called my legal aid who represented me and she said the police was supposed to give me a voucher for whatever they took from me, but the officer did not do that. He just took it, gave me no voucher or no info on what was going to happen to it. How do i get it back? MY mom really needs the card.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The metorcard would have been considered evidence in this case, which is why you didn't receive a property receipt for the metrocard. Now that the case is finished, the metrocard is no longer necessary as evidence. Your legal aid attorney needs to contact the police to get it back for you.

  2. Your lawyer can get a copy of the voucher from the DA. If it was vouchered as arrest evidence then the DA will need to give you a property release to take to 1 Police Plaza.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Your attorney needs to contact the ADA handling the case. Your attorney can get it for you

Police misconduct topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics