Police took 100 dollars from me during a case for sale of controlled substance,I pled guilty to a violation can I get $ back now

Asked 12 months ago - Bronx, NY

I was charged wit felony sale pled out to a violation possession of marijuanajuanaa can I get my money from court now

1. Stephen Charles Cooper

1

Answered . If the money was vouchered as evidence, absolutely not. If it was vouchered as your property, obtain a DA's release and go to one Police Plaza.

2. John M. Cromwell

Pro

1

Answered . If it was vouchered as arrest evidence, forget about it. You will have to sue the NYPD in civil court.

3. Amanda K. Ambrose

Pro

1

Answered . Keep in mind that because you were charged with SELLING narcotics, the police likely will have vouchered the money as evidence of drug sales.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . If it was vouchered as arrest evidence the DA would have to release it.

5. Joshua R. Kahn

Answered . If you received a property receipt for the money than you need a release from the DA and you can get it back. If not, than the money was likely kept as evidence, and It is possible that in exchange for the plea offered to you by the DA you agreed to forfeit the money. If the money was taken as evidence and your case has been disposed and you did not agree to forfeit the money, then the DA must start a civil lawsuit to cause you to forfeit the money. If the DA starts a civil lawsuit to try to obtain the money you can either defend the lawsuit or have an attorney try to negotiate a settlement where you may get some of the money back.