Police showed up at my house,charged me with hit and run and I didn't hit anyone

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fullerton, CA

evidently my ex called police,told them she saw me hit another vehicle and drive away, they just showed up and said I did it, I didn't hit anyone or anything and have no idea what it was all about, there is no one even claiming I hit there vehicle or any property for that matter, no evidence even suggesting I hit anything but now I have a court date for hit and run. can they do this? I know I need an attorney and will consider someone from this site but first and foremost need some input on this.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Hire an attorney to defend you. They should be able to put together a strong defense for you. Also you should think about filing charges against your ex for filing a false report.

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Until you have seen the police report, it will be difficult to assess what the case is based on and how best to approach it. You should retain counsel right away so that you can figure out how to defend the case. But to answer your question, alleged victims make statements (whether true or not) and the police act on those statements. You need a good attorney to dismantle the case if, indeed, you have no culpability.

  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A hit and run can be charged for someone "involved" in an accident. Lack of damage doesn't end the suspicion, but it certainly makes the prosecutors case harder to prove

    Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't put up with this. Take a few pics of your vehicle showing no property damage and consider a complaint against your ex for filing a false report. Any good attorney could rectify this situation for you.

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now