Police report found neither party at fault and no witness

Rockford, IL |

I was involved in a MVA in July. The police report found neither party at fault and there was no witness. We were not injured, but the other party might be seriously injured. My insurance adjuster can not get the other party's statement and said that they have a witness now. It has been 2 months and we have not heard anything from other party. what can we do now if we don't have any witness to our case?

You were a witness, as was the other party, who will eventually be able to describe the events, hopefully. In the meantime, let the insurance company handle it--there really is nothing for you to do. That is why you have insurance.

Do not talk to anyone about this and do not discuss how it happened except with the insurance carrier and any lawyer assigned by them.
Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website: www.hofflawyer.com
Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Determine your limits of coverage.

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Find out how much you are covered for to see if there is possible personal exposure. If so, get a personal lawyer.

Hi, what is personal exposure? My coverage is 100/300. I am afraid that it might over my coverage limit since people told me that the person might be serious injured. What happen if it is over my coverage limit? I am a college student. Would it go after my post graduation salary in the future?

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

See my answer below (which was posted on the "other" question you posted). First of all, you are on the right track as far as what to be concerned about. Unfortunately, as Attorney Goldstein points out, we are not offering legal advice, only information, and this site is not set up for in depth analysis. That said, you really don't have any idea how badly the other driver was injured, whether they will pursue a lawsuit, or what other insurance coverage is available. Let's say, just for argument sake, that the other driver more or less claims it's all your fault. Let's go further and say his injuries are truly catastrophic-say far more horrible than $100K could ever compensate. What would happen? Well, your carrier, assuming their investigation bore this out, would pay over the policy limits. It might take a lawsuit, it could take years, and it might also happen with just an insurance claim. It depends on the company, the injuries, the determination of fault, and the individual adjuster, as well as the claimant. A gazillion factors are considered. Now, let's say you have no other coverage and your cousin had no other coverage. What would happen then? A couple things might occur. The other driver may have higher coverage than yours (it would have to exceed your policy limits), called Underinsured Motorist Coverage. They could, in theory, recoup as much as the difference between your limit and their limit. Let's say they had UIM coverage of $500K, then there may be as much as $400K additional available to compensate them. Well, it's possible they have coverage for UIM that is less than or equal to your limit. In that case, there is nothing available. There may be an option of pursuing the insurance carrier of your cousin too. Finally, let's assume that after all this analysis, and assuming there is no question about fault for the accident, there is no other coverage than what your policy offers, then the claimant could potentially go after you, try to get a judgment against you personally, and could try to collect that via wage garnishment or other avenue. While it is possible your personal assets are exposed, there is no reason to worry at this point. What I would do is keep in contact with your carrier, ask these questions to them, find out if your cousin had other coverage, and even check to see if anyone else who might have insured that vehicle you drove might have had available insurance coverage. Lastly, personal bankruptcy might be an option. Keep in mind that percentage of fault would potentially reduce amounts due. Let's say the person had a broken arm and surgery and the case might be worth $100K but that they were at least 50% at fault? Well, then if a jury determined that, you'd owe nothing. It's comparative liability and it's confusing, but basically, you are not at fault if the other party is more than 50% at fault for their own injuries. If they are less than 50% at fault, that % determined by the jury is used to reduce the award. Yes, confusing, lots of insurance law, and even math, all to add to your stress. However, if you talk to your carrier, they will likely guide you through this and give you helpful information. If you do feel at risk, get a personal lawyer. I hope this works out in your favor. Stephen L. Hoffman Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC Chicago, IL 773-944-9737 Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com Website: www.hofflawyer.com Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

Unless you feel there is a reasonable possibility of finding any other witnesses, e.g., canvassing a neighborhood, then there's not much you can do but cooperate with your insurance company. it will attempt to settle any claim within your insurance policy limit and, if you are sued, will provide an attorney to defend the case. You can direct any questions to the insurance company in the meantime.

First of all the police did not witness it. They cannot testify about any opinion as they are not accident reconstruction experts. Therefore it is your word against their word. Good luck

Contact local consel

Founded by the insurance industry in 1943, AF is a membership-driven, not-for-profit organization that exists to effectively and efficiently serve its over 4,600 members' recovery and resolution needs. AF is the nation's largest arbitration and subrogation services provider, through which its members file more than 520,000 disputes worth nearly $2.5 billion in claims each year.

AF is a membership-focused organization dedicated to providing its membership best-in-class service and ensuring they are at the center of everything AF does. AF embraces this member-centric mindset by implementing member feedback at all points of service.

The membership is the key driver of AF's future direction. Through their continued support, AF will build on current successes and ensure its services continue to provide effective dispute resolution alternatives.

AF does not charge a membership fee, but rather a fee for each case filed. Membership is available to insurers and self-insureds. To become a member, simply fill out an agreement for the forum(s) that your company would like to join, ensuring it is signed by a corporate officer, senior level executive, or an individual who has the authority to bind your organization to a nationwide contract. Then send the original copy to the attention of:

Arbitration Forums, Inc.
Attn: Membership Services
PO Box 30174
Tampa, FL 33630-3174
Forums

AF offers intercompany dispute resolution through the following forums:

Automobile Subrogation Arbitration Forum
Designed to resolve intercompany subrogation disputes amongst insurers, self-insureds and large retention commercial insureds involving automobile physical damage not in excess of $100,000 unless agreed upon by all parties.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Arbitration Forum
Settles disputes arising from no-fault coverage between insurers, self-insureds and commercial insureds with large retentions.
Medical Payments Subrogation Arbitration Forum
Resolves disputes arising from subrogation of medical payments coverage between insurance companies only.
Special Arbitration Forum
Resolves disputes between insurers, self-insureds, and commercial insureds with retentions for claims involving third-party liability and/or disputes regarding concurrent, over lapping, or excess/primary coverage. The amount of contribution sought may not exceed $250,000 unless agreed upon by the parties.
Property Subrogation Arbitration Forum
Addresses claims (not in excess of $100,000) involving fire, extended coverage, inland marine coverage, or other first-party property insurance.
Uninsured Motorists' Subrogation Forum
Is the forum in which insurance companies bind themselves to arbitrate coverage questions under automobile liability policies in which a disclaimer results in a claim against another member company under its uninsured motorist endorsement.
E-Speed Filing Program
Is the quickest way to settle two-party claims in which Company 1's disputed claim amount does not exceed $3,500, and Company 2's counterclaim amount does not exceed $25,000. It is a paperless electronic filing process that uses the power of the Internet to reduce turnaround time and recover costs.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.