Police questioning and my rights

Asked 9 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

If one day I am called by a detective and s/he ask me to go to the police station to ask me a couple of questions regarding a criminal case, under the law, am I required to go? Should I contact an attorney or go to the public defender office (if I am unemployed or poor at the moment)? If by chance I were to be accused of a serious crime and failed to show at the police station, would a warrant be put under my name? Would police officers show at my door and would try to break into my place? If this were to ever happen (generally I do not get in trouble, but things can happen even to the most uneventful person) how should I proceed? Who should I contact?

1. Thomas J. Wagner

3

1

Answered . No you have no obligation to go to the police station. If they just wanted to get information, I think they would come to your house. You should not speak with them witout your attorney present. If they have or get probable cause that you committed a crime they will get a warrant to arrest you regardless of whether you talk to them. Talking to them is unlikely to help you and very likely will hurt you.

2. Victor Murray Hwang

1

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Wagner. I would just add that I don't believe that the LA public defenders office will represent you prior to barging, if you want a lawyer, you will need to hire one. If you are charged and any afford an attorney, then the public defenders office will represent you.

3. Jonathan R. Miller

1

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Wagner. Unless you are arrested you are not required to go to the police station for questioning.