Police criminal record certificate

Asked about 4 years ago - Baltimore, MD

i hve an applied for a k1 visa for my fiance ,in indonesia .she needs to get a police criminal record certificate from taiwan .i have found the application online ,but they are asking for the original passport and a copy ,is it safe to mail her passport ,is there an easier way to get these papers,i have searched online but not found anything of great use

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Maria Fuster Glinsmann

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Giving up an original passport is sending up my alarms... you are right to be concerned. It is not uncommon for applicants with a history of having lost a passport to have problems later in getting clearances. I may approach this problem two different ways, before giving up the original passport as an absolute last resort. The obvious first choice is to have your fiancee make the request with the Taiwanese Embassy located in Jakarta. This way she can apply in person with her original passport, without giving up the original. The second choice is to visit a notary public in Jakarta and have the notary public certify a copy. This way, you can send off the certified copy of the passport with the request.

    Feel free to take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation to get the reliable advice you require. You can schedule your appointment by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: www.glinlaw.com and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

    If you like this thoughtful response, don't forget to give it a thumbs up!

  2. Nikiki Tavia Bogle

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would not send the original passport in the mail to Taiwan. I suggest contacting a criminal lawyer in Taiwan, so he or she can get a copy of the certificate for your fiancee.

    If you have any further immigration questions, contact our law firm for a confidential consultation.

    Good luck.

    Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq.

    Immigration Legal Team
    Bogle & Chang LLC
    Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101
    Email: ntb@boglechang.com
    Website: www.immigrationlegalteam.com
    Serving Immigration Clients in All 50 States and Foreign Countries

  3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It would be most unwise to send any original documents.
    You fiance can approach her consulate and make the application and provide the original passport.
    This is the advantage of working with an immigration lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,599 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,599 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering