Points for Driving without reasonable consideration?

Asked 10 months ago - City Of Industry, CA

Hello, I recently traveled to ireland and was involved in an accident. I just received a notice in the mail saying I will be receiving 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration. Could someone please tell me what this means? Does this mean I will be receiving 2 points that will be in my DMV record for 3 years? Is there any way for me to reduce the points by taking a defensive driving course?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not certain if the CA DMV will recognize an offense committed in another country. You might want to contact an attorney in Ireland.

  2. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The offense of driving without reasonable consideration, under Irish law, sounds like reckless driving under California law. Before considering the consequences, you may want to contact a DMV attorney who can help you contest the imposition of such points because the elements of this offense in Ireland may really not meet the standards of California law, meaning the DMV cannot attach points to your license as you describe. The same attorney may be able to advise you whether traffic school is an option.

  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with both counsel and I did not know there was driving under the influence or anything like that in Ireland. Ha Ha

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Related Topics

Personal injury accidents

The most common personal injury accidents are the result of traffic accidents. These include accidents involving cars, motorcycles, bikes, and more.

Traffic Tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,193 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,193 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering