Points for Driving without reasonable consideration?

City Of Industry, CA |

Hello, I recently traveled to ireland and was involved in an accident. I just received a notice in the mail saying I will be receiving 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration. Could someone please tell me what this means? Does this mean I will be receiving 2 points that will be in my DMV record for 3 years? Is there any way for me to reduce the points by taking a defensive driving course?

I am not certain if the CA DMV will recognize an offense committed in another country. You might want to contact an attorney in Ireland.

The offense of driving without reasonable consideration, under Irish law, sounds like reckless driving under California law. Before considering the consequences, you may want to contact a DMV attorney who can help you contest the imposition of such points because the elements of this offense in Ireland may really not meet the standards of California law, meaning the DMV cannot attach points to your license as you describe. The same attorney may be able to advise you whether traffic school is an option.

I agree with both counsel and I did not know there was driving under the influence or anything like that in Ireland. Ha Ha

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Recommended articles about Personal injury