Please tell me my rights and the laws on 24-7 live in caregiver to 5 woman. 3 in wheel chairs.

Chandler, AZ |

i am responsible for it all. i am a live in caregiver. the man i work for has 5 homes. i take care 0f 5 elderlly woman. 3 in wheel chairs. it is hard work. i do everything in this home. i am paid $55
per day. I had a situation, i took off 3 hours one day and 4 hours the next. he deducted 110.00 from my pay. he also told me that he not paying me hours that i sleep. if this is so. doesnt he have to pay me at least a minimum wage salary

1. I have changed your practice area to employment so one of the fine employment attorneys in your area will find your question. You may want to add whether or not you have a written contract with your employer. Glad to help.

Of course, as always this answer is general in nature, applies only to Illinois law, assumes certain facts omitted from the question and does not take into account any facts specific to any person’s particular circumstances. No attorney/client relation is created hereunder and I highly recommend you seek first the counsel and advice of an experienced contested civil litigator prior to taking any actions relating to this matter, as seemingly insignificant actions may have unintended consequences.

2. You may want to have an Elder Law attorney draft a CareGiver Agreement under which your duties and compensation are laid out - including time off. Each of the persons you care for should be contributing to your compensation in my view. I believe an Arizona Elder Law attorney can help you with a CareGiver Agreement and you should pursue it. Look on Avvo.com under Find-A-Lawyer entering 'Elder Law' as the practice area and Phoenix AZ as the jurisdiction. That will give you more choices. Good Luck!

Wills and estates topics