Please recommend divorce mediators in NYC or Brooklyn

New York, NY |

Hoping to find a mediator who can help us resolve our divorce.

Avvo's Q & A is not a good Craig's list substitute.

Recommend you call your state bar and request a referral or use the Avvo find-a-lawyer option.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Try your local county bar association.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

You may want to contact New York State Council on Divorce Mediation. http://nyscdm.org/

I am a divorce mediator. I think you are wise in choosing the mediation process which is usually substantially less expensive and less stressful than litigation.

I agree with Mr. Shapiro, mediation has many benefits over the traditional, litigated divorce. A good way to find a qualified mediator is to ask people you trust for recommendations. When you talk to a mediator, be sure to ask them how much mediation training they have had and how many mediation cases they have successfully mediated. Your mediator should always maintain and protect their neutrality, from the first contact with you. That usually means they will not meet alone with either Party. Ask the mediator to explain their process and how they help their clients reach agreements. Choose the mediator you both feel most comfortable with.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce