Please need information or where to find resources on us citizenship.

Asked over 4 years ago - Renton, WA

I am helping a friend with her citizenship but have no idea where to begin. We currently live in Washington. There is a language barrier between us, and she knows little of her situation. The information that I have is that she was born in Western Samoa. She is married to a us citizen from American Samoa. They have 2 children one was born here in the United States. My understanding is that she has a sponser and has some kind of visa. My knowledge is very little on this subject. I would like information on where to begin to help her find out what needs to be done to gain citizenship or what exactly her status is here in the states. Please need resources.

1. Roxanne Eberle

Pro

Answered . "Washington New Americans" and "OneAmerica" have free resources on becoming a citizen on their webpage at http://www.wanewamericans.org/oneamerica under the "Become a Citizen" tab.

if you believe your friend to be at all complicated, you should consult with an immigration attorney. I know of a few in Seattle who will do a one-hour consultation for $150. It would be worth it to have the application checked by an expert before submitting it.

Good luck and my future congrats to your friend!

2. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

Answered . First of all, she need to file for an adjustment of status if she entered the US legally. If she did not enter legally, she will have a different problem. Immigration is very tricky, if you do not know how the system works, you should get an immigration to help in the matter. A single mistake sometimes can cost a lot more than spending some money with an attorney. Our firm has handled hundreds of marriage petitions. I have attached one article regarding marriage : Love Marriage and the Green Card!

Please read it.

Good Luck
    Happy Holidays

Note: The above is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act based solely on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.