Skip to main content

Please help me interpret/ understand RCW 26.09.280. Thanks!

Issaquah, WA |

The final order of my parenting plan was signed in Snohomish County. I am the custodial parent (father) and need to file contempt on the NCP (mother). Based on RCW 26.09.280, can I file for contempt in King County and have the case moved here?

My child also has a half sibling that lives with her custodial parent (different father). He wishes to file contempt on the NCP (same mother) as well. Can he file in King County because our cases are linked if I move the case? He lives in Watcom County.

Final Parenting Plans signed in Snohomish county
Custodial Parent of Child 1 lives in King county
Custodial Parent of Child 2 lives in Watcom county
NCP of both children lives in Snohomish county

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


NO -- you file the motion for contempt in Snohomish county --that is where the file is located. To try to change venue merely complicates matters and since each county has different local rules, that would not be a good idea.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.


In addition, getting the other party to actually show up and argue is easier if it is in their county of residence. Absent some extenuating circumstances, family law is best served by traveling to where the action is.


The best situation is to bring the matter in Snohomish County since the parenting plan is in Snohomish and her contempt would be with their order. As long as one parent lives in Snohomish, they'll retain jurisdiction. Also, it will make any excuse by mom about not being able to show to the show cause hearing weaker than if the court was in King.

Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer