Please help? I was sued for defaulting on my HOA fees.

Asked 6 months ago - Baltimore, MD

I am being sued by my HOA for failure to pay HOA dues. Since I've had the property, the HOA dues had been coming automatically out of my account through my online bill pay. Unbeknownst to me, my HOA changed management which means the address changed. I moved away from the property 3 years ago and was not notified that management had changed. Today I got a letter stating that I was in default of my dues. When I went online I noticed that the last 6 payments on my bill pay were listed as processing. I called my bank and they notified me that payments are listed as processing when they are delivered to the wrong address. I had no notice of the change in management nor did I have notice that the HOA was not receiving my payments. If I did, I would have taken care of the matter before it

1. Jody R. Pollara

1

Answered . First you should contact your HOA. You have documented proof that you were attempting to pay the dues. It is strange that they did not try to get in touch with you after the first "missed" payment; however, if you speak with them it is likely that they will allow you to make the past six payments and then set up your account to go to the correct address. I doubt they want to be involved in litigation when the solution is very simple and you are willing to pay.

2. Robert A. Stumpf

1

Answered . Did you call the HOA / their lawyer and tell them this? The probably would not have wanted to sue you had they known it was that sort of mixup.