Please help, a copy or certified copy in my file?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

During my green card interview i disclosed the arrest to the immigration officer. I had a certified copy of the court disposition and a copy of it. after the officer looked at the documents, he asked for a copy to keep it n the file, so he added the copy (not the certified) to the file and gave me the certified back.

Please let me know if what happen will not be a problem when I apply for N400?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . You are OK. All the officer needed to look at was the original, just to convince him/herself that it was indeed authentic and issued by the court in question, but for the file all is needed is the copy of that verified certified court dispo, and nothing else.

2. Tsirina Goroshit

3

Answered . If an officer got a copy, it is not a problem, when you will be applying for naturalization, you will bring certified copy again.

3. Daniel S. Drucker

3

Answered . You should hold onto the certified disposition of arrest, and bring it to your Naturalization interview in either 3 or 5 years depending on the basis for your adjustment of status. If CIS wants the certified copy in their file, you will receive a Request for Evidence in the mail. If you already received your Alien Registration Card, you have no reason to worry.

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . You could be questioned regarding the arrest.