Skip to main content

Please help, a copy or certified copy in my file?

New York, NY |

During my green card interview i disclosed the arrest to the immigration officer. I had a certified copy of the court disposition and a copy of it. after the officer looked at the documents, he asked for a copy to keep it n the file, so he added the copy (not the certified) to the file and gave me the certified back.

Please let me know if what happen will not be a problem when I apply for N400?

Attorney Answers 4


If an officer got a copy, it is not a problem, when you will be applying for naturalization, you will bring certified copy again.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You could be questioned regarding the arrest.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



what do you mean exactly? is there a problem of have a copy in the file?


You are OK. All the officer needed to look at was the original, just to convince him/herself that it was indeed authentic and issued by the court in question, but for the file all is needed is the copy of that verified certified court dispo, and nothing else.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


You should hold onto the certified disposition of arrest, and bring it to your Naturalization interview in either 3 or 5 years depending on the basis for your adjustment of status. If CIS wants the certified copy in their file, you will receive a Request for Evidence in the mail. If you already received your Alien Registration Card, you have no reason to worry.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics