Skip to main content

Please Help: 1st Time offence, food stamp fraud.

Loveland, CO |

I have never been in trouble with the law, I might be investigated for food stamp fraud. Not sure the full amount, but I received a phone call today and was afraid of what could happen; they had some questions to clear up. I dont work outside the home, so my daughter and i have been living with her father for about 1 year. I read some of the rules for these benefits, and it said if individuals live in the same house hold but buy food separate then it counts as two households. Her father and I are not dating anymore we just had an agreement to live together for the sake of our daughter just until I can get on my feet with an outside job and can move out. He has been taking care of himself, and I am our daughters primary caregiver.

please tell me what i should be prepared for.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. From the information you have provided it seems like you have to wait for a letter requesting information or a letter making an allegation before you consult with an attorney. I suggest that you wait until you have a better understanding of what is being alleged before you seek legal advice. It's possible that nothing will come of it.

  2. This is really a criminal defense question - I will try to repost for you.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. If you believe you may have committed food stamp fraud the most important thing to remember right now is that you shouldn't make any statements to anyone about the case, your income, or the makeup of your household. Many times these cases are prosecuted based on statements and admissions. If you believe you are being investigated hire an attorney and direct the DHS investigator or law enforcement officer to your attorney.

    The Leier Law Office
    Kent J. Leier

    The Leier Law Office, LLC, 110 East Oak St. Ste. 220, Fort Collins, CO. Call 970-682-4581 for a free consultation. The answer above does not form an attorney client relationship and does not substitute for advice that can be obtained during an in depth initial consultation.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics