Please Help: 1st Time offence, food stamp fraud.

Asked about 1 year ago - Loveland, CO

I have never been in trouble with the law, I might be investigated for food stamp fraud. Not sure the full amount, but I received a phone call today and was afraid of what could happen; they had some questions to clear up. I dont work outside the home, so my daughter and i have been living with her father for about 1 year. I read some of the rules for these benefits, and it said if individuals live in the same house hold but buy food separate then it counts as two households. Her father and I are not dating anymore we just had an agreement to live together for the sake of our daughter just until I can get on my feet with an outside job and can move out. He has been taking care of himself, and I am our daughters primary caregiver.

please tell me what i should be prepared for.

1. Kent Joseph Leier

6

Answered . If you believe you may have committed food stamp fraud the most important thing to remember right now is that you shouldn't make any statements to anyone about the case, your income, or the makeup of your household. Many times these cases are prosecuted based on statements and admissions. If you believe you are being investigated hire an attorney and direct the DHS investigator or law enforcement officer to your attorney.

The Leier Law Office
    Kent J. Leier

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

5

Answered . This is really a criminal defense question - I will try to repost for you.

3. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

4

Answered . From the information you have provided it seems like you have to wait for a letter requesting information or a letter making an allegation before you consult with an attorney. I suggest that you wait until you have a better understanding of what is being alleged before you seek legal advice. It's possible that nothing will come of it.