Please advise whether to file a claim for constructive eviction/breach of quiet enjoyment & domestic violence or how to proceed.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a serious problem, my ex-boyfriend, a licensed real estate broker, finds abandoned foreclosures & lives/rents them acting as prop manger. I lived w/ him for 4 months & signed a lease but I know he must have forged it. On 3 occasions, he battered me. On the last occasion (end of Feb 2013) I vacated the property & he since changed the locks. After attempting to gain access to property w/ LAPD 3 times & verifying the property's owner is deceased & now bank owned, the police advised me to take him to court. I also contacted a tenant-landlord rights org. who said that I can sue my ex-boyfriend, acting as landlord under Civil Code 789.3 & 1946. A police report for battery was taken & I emailed a complaint & demand letter to my ex. He replied that he would address my concerns but he lied.

Additional information

Its been 57 days since the DV. Would a judge would award me anything for a wrongful eviction if I now know that the leased was forged? The name of the landlord used on the lease is fake. Its not his name & address nor the name of the real owner whose records I located via a real estate search. I wasn't evicted or given any notice to vacate. I also dont have rental receipts, just the lease & bills for internet service that was in my name. My ex is a licensed broker & does business under a corp name. After this wake up call, I realize that he not only mislead me but other people who are renting homes from him that he doesnt own. I wrote a complaint letter to him & worded it in such a way that he would think twice about trying to file an eviction against me by forging a landlord's name. He replied via email saying he would "happily address my concerns" & never did. Later I wrote a civil demand letter for $4,000 (code 789.3 & DV) but I'm not sure what cause of action is best or how to argue it safely. Thanks!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Armen Taslakian

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have lots of legal issues that are difficult to address individually on this forum.

    If you wish to discuss this matter feel free to contact me at

    Armen Taslakian. 818. 937.3590. Note: Armen Taslakian is an attorney licensed in the... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,745 answers this week

3,435 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,745 answers this week

3,435 attorneys answering