Please advise whether to file a claim for constructive eviction/breach of quiet enjoyment & domestic violence or how to proceed.

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a serious problem, my ex-boyfriend, a licensed real estate broker, finds abandoned foreclosures & lives/rents them acting as prop manger. I lived w/ him for 4 months & signed a lease but I know he must have forged it. On 3 occasions, he battered me. On the last occasion (end of Feb 2013) I vacated the property & he since changed the locks. After attempting to gain access to property w/ LAPD 3 times & verifying the property's owner is deceased & now bank owned, the police advised me to take him to court. I also contacted a tenant-landlord rights org. who said that I can sue my ex-boyfriend, acting as landlord under Civil Code 789.3 & 1946. A police report for battery was taken & I emailed a complaint & demand letter to my ex. He replied that he would address my concerns but he lied.

Its been 57 days since the DV. Would a judge would award me anything for a wrongful eviction if I now know that the leased was forged? The name of the landlord used on the lease is fake. Its not his name & address nor the name of the real owner whose records I located via a real estate search. I wasn't evicted or given any notice to vacate. I also dont have rental receipts, just the lease & bills for internet service that was in my name. My ex is a licensed broker & does business under a corp name. After this wake up call, I realize that he not only mislead me but other people who are renting homes from him that he doesnt own. I wrote a complaint letter to him & worded it in such a way that he would think twice about trying to file an eviction against me by forging a landlord's name. He replied via email saying he would "happily address my concerns" & never did. Later I wrote a civil demand letter for $4,000 (code 789.3 & DV) but I'm not sure what cause of action is best or how to argue it safely. Thanks!

1. Armen Taslakian

1

Answered . You have lots of legal issues that are difficult to address individually on this forum.

If you wish to discuss this matter feel free to contact me at www.TaslakianLaw.com.