Please : Do I need to send a copy of I-140 pending notice and 212(e) waiver for my wife's I-485 package?

Albany, NY |

I filed my I-485 a few weeks ago and now am aiming to file I-485 for my wife. Do I need to send a copy of the receipt notice of pending I-140 and 212(e) waiver since USCIS already has these documents? I know that I should send a copy of pending I-485. What happens if we send extra documents to USCIS?

It is better to err by sending too many documents than not enough.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. You really should be talking to your I-140 lawyer ... who should have told you to file your wife's papers at the same time as you filed yours.

The waiver complicates things and makes it even more important that you talk to an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. I agree..these problems occur when people do not consult a lawyer before they act.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

4. Consult with the attorney who filed the I140. Sending a duplicate of previously filed document is not a cause for concern

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104