Planning on filing a sexual harassment suit. Company did something unexpected.

Asked over 1 year ago - Baton Rouge, LA

A few months ago, I filed a charge of discrimination with the EEOC, for sexual harassment. Company has been aware of this issue for months. However, the harassment is still going on. On Friday, I filed a complaint with a manager (HR was out of the office). Monday afternoon (I work nights), HR called me and told me to stay home while they do their investigation. I would still get paid for the time I would have worked. Is that a bit odd? I asked them for more info, but they were mute. They are investigating other incidents of harassment, and I have never been asked to stay home while they conduct their investigation into those incidents. Makes me wonder if they are hiding something that they don't want me to see. And yes...I am actively seeking an attorney to represent me.

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . It may not be odd at all.

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

Answered . Retain an attorney and follow their advice. This is standard procedure for many businesses- have complainant and suspect on paid admin leave while case is investigated.