Plaintiff served defendant after they won by default.

Asked about 1 year ago - Stockton, CA

I received a summons and the following day I tried to file an answer and was told they already filed a default and won. What can I do.

1. Matthew Mir Shafae

Answered . You should see an attorney immediately about filing a motion to set aside the judgment based on defective service of process.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . Your remedy is to file a motion to set aside default (and vacate default judgment if a judgment has already been entered). It might also be possible to get the plaintiff to stipulate to setting aside the default, to obviate the necessity for a motion.

Unfortunately, there is no Judicial Council form for a motion to set aside default and to vacate default judgment. If you don't hire an attorney, you'll have to specially prepare it. Here is a link that will give you some helpful guidance:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/149.htm#setaside

This was prepared by the Ventura Courts Self-Help Legal Access Center.