Pipe under the sink burst in the apartment causing flooding and damage to my property. What am I liable for?

Asked 8 months ago - Jersey City, NJ

Whole floor is damaged and needs to be redone. Given time of 1 month for this. I am not being given a relocation option by landlord. They are thretening to take away my security deposit if I break lease and stay somewhere. They have aslo told that I need to pay rent for this period. I cannot live there. What am I liable for?

1. William Douglas Bradbury

2

1

Answered . Given the situation as you have described it, the unit is uninhabitable. A landlord must provide a unit with running hot and cold water, as well as a cooking area in order for the unit to be considered habitable. Damaged pipes with damaged structural elements to the building (flooring) means that the home may be considered "condemned" or subject to closure. A city or state housing inspector can help.
    You do not need to pay rent for the period that these conditions exist, and your landlord cannot deduct from your security deposit for this damage.

The only reason that you would be responsible for this damage would be if you had done something to cause the ruptured pipes.

I am attaching a link to the New Jersey Tenant Handbook, it has more information on this subject.