PIP insurance

Tampa, FL |

In Florida, can an insurance company raise my premium for use of PIP insurance if I am not "at fault?" Can they raise my premium when it is time for a renewal of my policy for the next year, or are they barred from raising the premium all together at any time?

1. The car insurance company may not raise car insurance premiums unless the insurer determines that the policy holder was “substantially at fault” in causing the auto accident. This is codified under F.S. 626.9541(3)(a). But, if you have had three or more not-at-fault accidents in the prior three year period, the auto insurance company may refuse to renew your policy. (F.S. 626.9541(3)(c)).

2. Using PIP cannot raise your rates, but being involved in a crash, being involved in one-too-many crashes, having an at-fault crash or getting a citation for a moving violation can cause your insurance coverage premiums to increase. There are a multiplicity of factors that cause insurance rates to increase, including moving to a new city or buying a different car. Insurance rates are predicated upon risk.

Rate also increase because insurance companies want to make more money. Costs to run an insurance carrier increase every year, an generally, insurance companies pass those costs onto you. Your contract only lasts during the policy period, and when that period is over, the insurance company is free to offer you coverage at another rate (higher or lower

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. My answers on Avvo are not legal advice, and they do not create an attorney-client relationship. If you contact me--please understand that I cannot contact you--then I will carefully evaluate your case and determine if I will accept you as a client. Unless you and I sign a contract for legal representation, then I am not your attorney. Furthermore, Avvo is a limited forum and not well-suited for complex legal analysis. You should always obtain competent legal advice from attorneys who will carefully evaluate all your case's facts. Avvo isn't the place for that.