Physical and continuous residency question N-400 form

Asked about 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

will several trips within one year outside the US that last more than 90 days but less than 180 days affect my application? For example, Leaving US 01.03-03.30 taking another trip 04.03-05.03 than another trip 05.15-08.14 and a few more from 08.24-11.30 and 12.05-12.27.
We live with my in-laws have US bank accounts but have been traveling a lot this past year. In 2009 I was outside the US for 12 days in 2010 for 14 and in 2011 for 31 days. I did not file N-400 after three years. It has been four years since I got my green card and want to file now. Will this past year affect my application?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can still file, provided you have accumulated 50 percent of continuous presence, which is in your case one year and six months

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Trips that do not exceed six months do not themselves cause issues with the naturalization filing. The aggregate amount of time you've been outside the U.S. in comparison to when you became an LPR and when you're filing for citizenship will be analyzed. You must be physically present in the U.S. for at least half the time. Your best avenue is to retain counsel to review your trips and make the determination, advise you for future trips while the application is pending and to attend the examination itself with you.

  3. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are several physical presence and residence requirements for US citizenship
    1. 1/2 half plus one day of the time of statutory period mus be spent in the US
    2. no absences over one year
    3. absence over six months are a presumption that you abandoned residence
    4. 90 days in the jurisdiction of the immigration office having jurisdiction over the place of your application prior to filing


  4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Despite the frequent short trips, if you meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirement you are good to file.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  5. Evelyne M Hart

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So long as you have been in the US for more than half the time prior to filing your N-400 you will be fine. If not, you need to wait until you have achieved more than half the time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,398 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary