Petty Theft of 14 dollars as an employee

Asked about 1 year ago - Corte Madera, CA

I impulsively put on a 14 dollar bracelet while working at Abercrombie and Fitch and then forgot it was even on and noticed it on my arm while driving home. The next week I was called to the back and eventually confessed to it and brought it right back to the store within an hour. The loss prevention people went from telling me police wouldn't be involved to me coming back to them telling me I'm lying and that I meant to steal it maliciously. They had me speak to a really nice policeman who gave me a notice to appear and then they suspended(not fired) me. I offered to pay for it and apologized but they would not have it. I cant afford a lawyer as I am a college student. What should I expect? I was really frazzled and embarrassed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kelvin P. Green

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Get an attorney.they are prosecuting you to make a point. You need someone who can see if diversion will work. Doing this alone will cost you more tan ever paying an attorney.

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-... more
  2. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Retailers tend to be rather punitive toward shoplifters, but even more so with internal theft. I agree that you should consult with an attorney immediately because if you retain a private attorney, unlike a public defender, he or she may be able to prevent the charges from being filed, or, filed as an infraction. Do not post any more facts about this on this website because it is not private. If you absolutely cannot afford a private attorney after consulting with your family, the public defender can represent you at the first hearing. good luck.

  3. Bobby Glenn Bell

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer the court will appoint the public defender at your arraignment. If you can find the funds to hire an attorney that is better because a private attorney can contact the D.A. before a complaint is filed with the court. If the D.A. files a complaint the best options are diversion, which results in a dismissal after a year with no conviction on your record if you do not get arrested, pay a fine, attend a class, and do some community service; or if diversion is not available, to reduce the misdemeanor to an infraction, which would mean there is no jail or probation. Of course, you also have the right to fight the case to trial if you wish.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,052 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,052 answers this week

3,106 attorneys answering