Petty theft -- moral turpitude.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I was fourteen and my friend was thirteen at the time ( seven years ago ) . She slipped a wallet inside one of my shopping bags and we walked out where the security followed us and we were then taken to the the juvenile center . It was considered petty theft since I was with her . We both paid a fine , our records expunged , and I did community service . So does this render as moral turpitude because it's an expunger record even if I had no knowledge of what she did and I was with her ?

1. Anthony Rubino

2

Answered . Petty theft is considered a crime of moral turpitude but since you were able to expunge your case this would indicate to me that you were never convicted of the crime.

From your narrative, it appears that you entered a pretrial diversion program and ultimately received a dismissal of your case.

If you were a juvenile and have since expunged your record, then your arrest no longer exists.
    You may legally deny ever having being arrested. (Unless, for instance, you were applying for a position in law-enforcement, as a teacher, etc and you were specifically asked if you ever had expunge a record)

Best if luck.