Skip to main content

Petitioner Birth Certificate at K1 interview

Tarzana, CA |

On the Appointment Package for Ho Chi Minh City In Vietnam it said to bring the petitioner birth certificate. My situation is that I was born in Vietnam and came here when I was small and after several moves my mom doesn't know where my birth certificate is anymore. Do I need the birth certificate or can I use anything else.
Also I am a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Attorney Answers 3


Depends on why the birth certificate is being requested.

The Court of Appeals for the Eigth Circuit has stated that "immigration laws and precedents are complex."

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It might be that HCM merely wants proof that the petitioner is a US citizen. In that case, the naturalization certificate will suffice. You should speak to an immigration attorney though.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


you must provide what is requested or risk a denial. these cases are very tricky, you should speak to an attorney right away to avoid any errors that may jeopardize your future plans

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Any information provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer under an attorney-client privilege to further receive competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your case. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Mayra Calo at 813-915-1715

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics