Skip to main content

Petitioned 6th district court (Pinellas/Pasco) for adult name change.

Pinellas Park, FL |

My name is Harvey Michael Heagerty,I want to change my name to Rory Michael. (first and last)
I completed all paperwork, including criminal history that includes agg batt (1990), adj. withheld, and BLEO (1992} adj. withheld.
My petition was filed in Dec 16, 2011..
My name now is Harvey Michael Heagerty, changed by my father from Rory Gene Heagerty in Apr 1962. This shows on myFlorida birth certificate. Can the court arbitrarily decide no change?
I am waiting for a letter from the legal aides to the judge wanting more info. No hearing has been held yet. Thanks for your help!

I received a letter from the judges office asking for copies of the first name change court order. I have ordered them. Additionally, a statement regarding whether I have children or not. A statement regarding whether I am engaged in a profession,when where I practiced. I am an insurance agent and have disclosed that already. The name change is the result of personal growth, and a desire to begin again after suffering abuse at the hands of the Catholic Church, and my stepmother(named Heagerty). I went voluntarily to counseling at the expense of the church from 6/11 to 12/11. The new name pays equal respect to my birth mother and father, who was a saint. I am not hiding from anyone or anything. It's spiritual!

Attorney Answers 2


It is very rare that a court will "arbitrarily" decide anything. It is always best to be prepared when you go before the court. Have a reasoned, well thought out, explaination for the change. As my brother counsel has advised, if the reason for the change is merely to avoid or hide from your past, that probably is not a sound reason, and the court may deny it based upon that. Again, preparation is the key. Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


No the Judge would not arbitrarily deny it. If there was some concern about your attempt to avoid the criminal past, that may be a concern. Having just filed the Petition, I would give it at least 45-60 days before being concerned about what the Court will do. Follow up with the Judge's office after 1.30.2012 if you dont have a response.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 377 1505

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees