Petition to Determine Succession to Real Property form error, per court.

Rancho Cordova, CA |

Form DE 310 for small estates has a question #10 that asks who the decedent was survived by. Does this need to be answered if this was addressed in question#9 pertaining to survivorship? I answered both questions and was told my question 9 was "incomplete" by the judge.

My father was divorced (marked box 2a), had natural children (marked box 5a ) and had no issue of predeceased children (box 8b). None of the other boxes apply. He was survived by a brother so I marked question 10 b (only). Could this be causing a conflict?

Thanks in advance!

Based on my reading of the form and your summary, section 10 would not need to be filled out because your father was survived by issue. (The natural children are "issue.") When you check the box in 10, it suggests that the children predeceased your father, which is not the case.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Thank you :)

It seems as though you may have misread the form as indicated by Mr. Frederick. Amend and resubmit.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

I concur with the other two answers. You should file a Supplement to correct the error. Language on the Judicial Council forms can be confusing.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. It is recommended that you contact an attorney directly for a more complete response.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates