Skip to main content

Petition for a Minor Name Change

Cresson, TX |
Filed under: Family law

Do I need to have a set a finger prints for each child to file along with Petition for a Minor Name Change?
Father is deceased 2001, Ages of children 14 &15, Reason-to have same last name as me and my husband.
Does the judge need to see a set of finger prints before he will sign Order for Name Change?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    No, fingerprints are not required for a minor name change. You just file the petition and that's it. You would then be ready to go to court to "prove up" the name change. You'd need to call to court to inquire about how to get your case set on the court's docket for a hearing.

    If the father is deceased you will need an original copy of the father's death certificate to prove to the court that there is no Respondent to be served.

    Also, you will need original copies of the children's birth certificates.

    Other than that you'll just need a proposed final order for the judge to sign.

    Good luck!

  2. If you are involved in a family law matter, child custody, property dispute in Los Angeles or Orange County, California, I will consult with you in my office for ½ hour for free. If it is outside those counties, please do not call me as I am unfamiliar with their practices and it is generally too expensive to consider hiring me. Other State in which I do not practice may have dissimilar Laws; always consult attorneys in your state!! Use Avvo’s tab “find a Lawyer” above.

    In all legal matters, the court generally uses the reasoning of IRAC. I for issues, what are the facts and what remedies do you seek. R stands for rules and reasoning, what are the laws and what makes common sense. A is analysis how do the laws and common sense apply, C is conclusion, what is your argument pro and con, what is the Judges or Jury convinced of.

    If judges do not accept your facts, that will change their judgments and each of them have differing biases. Each case will have different facts, some there are close to those which have been previously decided, some not. No lawyer can guarantee an outcome, because at a hearing or trial other facts may come out, even your own testimony may change.

    While I will do limited scope agreements, wherein I only prepare the papers for court and try to prepare you for testify; I always recommend using an attorney when you can afford one as that usually increases your chances of winning,
    There are other issues and approaches; this is not meant to answer every question or situation or to create an attorney client relationship or privilege. Do not post names or particular fact situations as this is a public billboard. Do you want your current or ex-spouse to know or hire me first?

    In child custody, the simplest explanation is “what is in the best interests of the child (ren). In support proof of earnings, needs of the children and percentage of time spent with the child(ren).

    In Community versus Separate Property, considerations include tracing the funds, and how profits are made.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics