Petit theft 2nd degree 3 a, from walmart. First offense. What should I plead?

Asked over 2 years ago - Casselberry, FL

I was detained in walmart for petit theft in the second degree.
It is my first and last offense.
I have been so scared of losing my children and license over this and it going on my record which will wreck my future of a better job and financial stuation for my daughters. I read if you plead guilty you can have the diversion class and pay restitution to the victim. If I do plead guilty, will I go to jail? They didn't catch me through video but the noise of me opening a box. I was not read my rights when taken into the loss prevention room by the officer who gave me the notice to appear. Whhat are my options? I am electing to take the Florida safety council petty theft 8 hour course on my own, without any help. I can not afford a lawyer.. I am a single mother of 2 little girls. I need help!

1. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . Dear Detained,

Depending on the County and Judicial Circuit you are located in, you should be eligible for pre-trial intervention or diversion. Complete your course ASAP. When you go to your arraignment on the date of your Notice to Appear, ask for a Public Defender. At the worst you will most likely wind up with 6 months probation and a withhold of adjudication.

I did not see where you specify what license you are referringto- drivers or professional license. If it is a professional license you may be obligate to disclose your arrest.

If you are applying for a professional license, you may have to disclose these facts. At that point candor is he best policy... a coverup is always worse than the crime in your situation.

Going forward, use this as a teaching moment for yourself (and your kids I they know about it). And be grateful you have your family in your life.

Best Regards,

James Regan, Esq.

2. Corey Ira Cohen

Pro

Answered . I would speak with an attorney for free before you go to court. I would be happy to speak with you on the phone and advise you what to do.

For more information contact the Law Office of Corey Cohen at 407-246-0066 or visit our website at www.coreycohen.com
  3. Christina Maria Soberon-Llort

Answered . At the arraignment, you should bring a copy of completing the petty theft course with you, as it may help in getting you an offer for diversion, which is a state run program similar to probation, btu after it is completed, the charges against you are dismissed. I do not advise pleading guilty without talking to an attorney about your case.

4. William David Umansky

Pro

Answered . Petit theft by itself sounds like a small crime but it can impact a person's future and your needs must be addressed legally as well as learning about how you will handle your charge into the future. For example, what will you tell a future employer should it come up? how will you handle it if someone you know confronts you etc..

You may be eligible for diversion as the other lawyer indicated but you should try your hardest to find a lawyer who can stand with you during this difficult time!