Skip to main content

Petit Larceny with 90 days suspension and 1 year probation in Virginia.

Fairfax, VA |


I was caught for a shoplifting a few months ago and was put on a felony charge at that time. I hired a lawyer and did some 250 hours community service before my court date, which helped me bringing my case down to misdemeanor (Petit Larceny) with 90 days suspended jail time and 1 year probation. I want to know if there is anyway I could wipe this record off after a few year with no criminal violation in common wealth of Virginia?
How bad is it to have this remark on your record? Could it affect my future job prospects? Will I have to live with this record on me for the rest of my life? I have never broken any other law and will keep myself clean as well. Can I clean my record somehow?

Thank you for the response.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. There is no expungement in Virginia for a conviction.

    Good luck.

    Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

  2. Under the circumstances, you are lucky that you are not a convicted felon. Thankfully your attorney was able to get this charge reduced. Unfortunately, unless the laws in Virginia are changed one day, your conviction is not going away.

    The information provided herein is intended solely for educational purposes and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please contact a local attorney for assistance with your matter.

Shoplifting topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics