Petit Larceny with 90 days suspension and 1 year probation in Virginia.

Asked about 1 year ago - Fairfax, VA

Hello,

I was caught for a shoplifting a few months ago and was put on a felony charge at that time. I hired a lawyer and did some 250 hours community service before my court date, which helped me bringing my case down to misdemeanor (Petit Larceny) with 90 days suspended jail time and 1 year probation. I want to know if there is anyway I could wipe this record off after a few year with no criminal violation in common wealth of Virginia?
How bad is it to have this remark on your record? Could it affect my future job prospects? Will I have to live with this record on me for the rest of my life? I have never broken any other law and will keep myself clean as well. Can I clean my record somehow?

Thank you for the response.

1. James Donald Garrett

2

Answered . There is no expungement in Virginia for a conviction.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

2. Kenneth William Jacobson

1

Answered . Under the circumstances, you are lucky that you are not a convicted felon. Thankfully your attorney was able to get this charge reduced. Unfortunately, unless the laws in Virginia are changed one day, your conviction is not going away.