Petit Larceny, will i go to jail?

Candor, NY |
Filed under: Criminal charges

My two friends and I stole $405.38 dollars worth of merchandise from wal mart. We obviously got caught and the police gave us a court date. This is the absolute first thing on every single one of our records. Im wondering if we are going to jail? Or if i can still use my ACD? And how much will the fines be? Because im paying for everyones fine. Thank you.

There is no way to know what the offer will be but expect to be hit with a plea to a disorderly conduct or the like, an ACD is possible with restitution likely. Look on spending anywhere up to $700. And you should hire an experienced attorney to help you out.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

Jail is unlikely. What do you mean by use your ACD? You don't get it as of right. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

An ACD is a common disposition for a first time petit larceny shoplifting, there's not entitlement to it. Since you have the means to pay everyone's fines, then you should hire an attorney to assit and represent you.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.