Personnal bankruptcy and my buisness

Conroe, TX |

i filed personal bankruptcy over 2 years ago, I had it dismissed right away, it was a nightmare and really wasn't for me, I received some bad advice. i am now on my feet and up and running my business again. (dba) will the past affect my business now, can the credit bureaus report to my business credit the old bankruptcy?

Presuming I understood your question correctly, and you *filed* for bankruptcy, but voluntarily dismissed the filing and never actually *discharged* any debt in the bankruptcy proceeding, then there may be some mechanism by which the bankruptcy should not actually be reported. I'm honestly not sure. I'd recommend consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your area to see what, if any options, you may have.

Nothing in this answer is intended to be construed as legal advice. In order to obtain legal advice on any topic, you will need to consult with an attorney on a private, in-person basis to discuss the specific facts and circumstances surrounding your issue. Neither this answer nor its particular contents are intend to create an attorney-client relationship between you and William B. Short, Jr. or between you and Coats | Rose, PC.

Gary D. Bollinger

Gary D. Bollinger

Attorney Short wrote, "...there may be some mechanism by which the bankruptcy should not actually be reported." A: No such mechanism exists: it will be reported.

There should be, would have never filed it, if I wouldn't have received bad advice from the bankruptcy attorney to begin with. She is no longer working for that firm.

The bankruptcy will remain on your personal creditor report for a period of ten years. Since your business is a sole proprietorship then your personal credit will likely get mixed up with your business credit. Consider forming a separate legal entity and build credit for that entity.

This is general advice based on limited interaction in an online forum. The reply does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly advised to seek the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction after you have presented them with all of the facts.

If you incorporate, or use an EIN number, then your past credit history may not be an issue.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business