Personal injury with discrimination

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

I was maltreated, discriminated against and unlawfully kicked out of my hotel room that I already paid for by the staff of the hotel. The incident occurred on February 22, 2013. Can one file an unlawful eviction lawsuit against an hotel, or hotels are exempt? I can't find an attorney to help me. I heard there is a 1 year Statute Of Limitation for intentional torts such as illegal eviction, etc. When will the SOL in this case expire: is it after Friday February 21, 2014 or after Monday February 24, 2014. I suffered damages including personal injury. Is the NY city/state human rights law applicable to cases of hotel discrimination against customers?

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

2

Answered . Sorry, but there are amble reasons why no lawyer has agreed to accept this case. You have the option of filing a discrimination complaint with the appropriate oversight agency. Good luck.

2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . You do not indicate why you feel you were discriminated against. What was the reason they gave for kicking you out? Why do you think they did it?

3. Marc R. Thompson

Answered . Can you explain with a little more detail how you were discriminated against and the personal injury damages that you suffered. This could possibly impact the statute of limitations. Why did you wait so long to consider legal action? I would recommend talking to a lawyer ASAP to discuss the event and how you can proceed.

This contact does not establish a client/lawyer relationship.
  4. Dennis Wayne Tackett

Pro

1

Answered . You have provided too few facts. Did the hotel refund you the last night's hotel rate?

Pro

1

Answered . Could you please post some facts as to how you were discriminated against? Most unlawful discrimination is actionable in places of public accommodation, so have a local discrimination lawyer investigate. Avvo has a great "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated personal injury lawyer (10) with a reasonable contingency fee, less than thirty percent, so you don't get hurt twice. Good luck.

6. Johnnie D Bond Jr.

Answered . It is highly unlikely that you have a claim for unlawful eviction against the hotel owner because it sounds like the relationship between you and the hotel owner is that of a premises owner and an invitee or hotel guest. Claims for unlawful eviction are usually lodged against landlords by lawful tenants. It does not appear that you were a tenant of the hotel. This opinion my change if you were a day-to-day guest of say a motel or boarding house.

As far as discrimination, your question does not provide a basis upon which you feel that you were discriminated. Do you allege that you were discriminated against on the basis of your race, age, sex, sexual orientation, financial status, or disability? Depending upon the basis upon which you claim that you were discriminated, you will then need to look at the relevant laws which have been passed to protect you (State or Federal laws) in order to determine if you have a claim and the relevant statue of limitations.