Personal injury settlement, Geico not returning any calls. Bills total over 25k

Lakeport, CA |

The adjuster only stated that settlement would come after my treatments are completed, to use my own personal hmo for the bills. Well, my co-pays are now high, and some providers did not want to bill the HMO because they would be paid less. I'm still in the middle of nerve block injections, only have had one stereriod and the first of three nerve blocks. Also I've had a previous accident were my back was injured three years ago. I had not used any pain medications for two years, even went thru pregnancy with little back pain, and was able to work all 9 months. Now after this accident I'm misseareble. Major car accident both vehicles totaled, mine paid out at $26k. Not at fault. 17 yr old hit from behind at highway, and she was pulling a horse. accident 12/7/10

It is not uncommon for the insurance to ignore you telephone calls. The insurance company is hoping that you will just go away, which means they would not have to pay you any money.

They are also hoping that you will get tired and want to settle the case as soon as possible out of frustration. Most injury victims who are frustrated can also become desperate to settle their case. If this happens, the insurance company has you right where they want you. It is at this point that the insurance company will propose a settlement which may, by all appearances, seems very good. In reality, it is very likely, a small fraction of what you may be entitled to receive.

There are many factors that must be considered when dealing and settling with an insurance company. You should seek the services of a personal injury attorney who is well versed in dealing with insurance companies.

The information provided is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information provided is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

2. It sounds like the insurance company is simply waiting you out and seeing if you chase them with an attorney. My suggestion is get a lawyer to send a demand letter ASAP and, if you don't get a response, sue them.

Sometimes, you just have to push things to get what you deserve.

The above answer should not be considered and does not constitute legal advice. You should not be relied on any of this advice because each case is fact specific and could be subject to different local, state, and federal law. No attorney-client relationship exists based on this response.

3. If you were not at fault, you would want to get a personal injury lawyer to negotiate a settlement for you, so you get proper compensation.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.

4. Insurance companies delay, deny and defend claims made by injured victims such as yourself. You are fine as far as the Statute of Limitations is concerned (two years from date of accident to file a lawsuit).

Your damages (both those that are pre-existing and those caused or aggravated by this accident) are significant. Geico will not be an easy nut to crack, they typically low ball their offers and, if you're unrepresented, they will definitely low ball you. If the value of your case exceeds the 17 year old's policy limits, then you will be entitled to invoke your Uninsured Motorist Coverage (becomes "Underinsured" Motorist Coverage) if your UM exceeds the girl's policy limits.

Bottom line: Speak with attorney whose practice focuses on personal injury. The more that you speak with the Geico adjuster while being unrepresented, the more you may be damaging your own case.

5. It is true that it is common to wait until you finish treatment. One exception is when your case is already worth more than policy limits. You really need a lawyer. These questions you are asking proves it. Did you know your lawyer can help you get treatment, force the doctor's to take your HMO, and many more. GET A LAWYER NOW!

Adam Sorrells
    Chico and Lake County Personal Injury Lawyer
    (530) 893-9900

The above was not legal advice and cannot be relied on. For informational purposes only. Some of the time periods in which you are legal required to act can be incredibly short, some as short as 6 months. Time is of the essence, do not delay seeking legal advice and pursuing your legal rights. No attorney/client relationship formed.