Personal injury lawyer quit after 3 months, now what?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rosenberg, TX

My mother and I got a personal injury lawyer (contingency basis) 3 months ago after being involved in 2 separate minor accidents. My mother was in the right in both accidents, but the second one she received a ticket for (middle car in multi car wreck).

The lawyer told her not to move her car from the impound, because he needed photos or something I assume. Well, 30 days later, the car was still there and the bank was forced to move it. The bank fixed it and said they are selling it.

The lawyer also said he'd help my mother fight her ticket, but he didn't show up to court.

Now, the lawyer is saying he wants out.

We're looking at no car, no lawyer, I owe a few thousand in medical bills... please help!

Where do we go from here? Just try to settle with the insurance companies?

1. Donivan W. Flowers

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . Seek out another injury lawyer in your area. Ask your friends and family for a referral. Most will give you a free consultation. You can discuss the injuries, the car, the ticket, and any potential other issues relating to the attorney's services. If the lawyer wants out, make sure you get that in writing and show that to a new lawyer. I never recommend that anyone handle a personal injury claim against an insurance company without the assistance of a personal injury lawyer.

Good luck. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this.

2. Bradley Dillon Peek

10

1

Answered . I agree. Ask the lawyer for your complete file and take it to another personal injury lawyer in the area.

Sorry to hear about this. Good luck.

3. Terrence Marc Rubino

Pro

10

1

Answered . get a reputable injury lawyer. word of mouth is the best resource. if you do not know of one, your local county bar association should have a referral service. also the texas trial lawyers association will have a listing of members in your area. the last resource shoyuld be billboard and telephone book ads. good luck.

4. Matthew Louis Solomon

Pro

9

1

Answered . Seek out another reputable attorney in your area. Explain all of this to your new attorney

Pro

9

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about this. Not all lawyers were created equal. This is not acceptable behavior. Contact the disciplinary board. You can find a top-rated lawyer by searching Avvo. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

8

1

Answered . I recommend you go to a reputable lawyer. Preferably one you can find through AVVO. Bring your file from your previous attorney and explain that the other lawyer wanted out. Best of luck.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

7

Answered . I suggest that you shop for a new attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.