Personal injury car crash in Mass.

Asked over 1 year ago - 01845

I was in an auto accident and sustained serious injuries in MA. I was a passenger. The auto insurance co. for the driver is claiming that their client (driver) does not have cover passengers. I did get a copy of his policy and the contract details do state that guests shall not be covered by this policy.

Does this sound right? Does this mean I cannot sue his insurance company for pain/suffering? I understand PIP coverage is up to 8k, but I'm talking more about over and above this amount for pain and suffering.

1. Jonathan Alexander Karon

22

Answered . You have the right to file suit against the driver if the driver's negligence injured you and if you incurred more than $2000 in medical expenses or broke a bone. The driver is required to have at least $20,000 in liability coverage on MA. If you sustained any serious injury you should consult an attorney who can go over the facts in detail and explain Massachusetts law regarding claims for injuries sustained in an auto accident. Good luck.

Pro

20

Answered . A personal injury lawyer can review the coverage including your own UM uninsured motorist coverage.

3. Kenneth P Doherty

18

Answered . Sounds like he did not purchase guest coverage. You can still make a claim, though. Either through your own policy, or household policy, if available; or against your drivers uninsured policy.

4. Emma A. Kremer

17

Answered . Generally speaking, the PIP coverage is around $10,000 or so. If you sustained serious injuries due to the negligence of the driver of the car that you were in or that of the other driver, you should consult a personal injury attorney experienced with such cases as soon as possible. You should also make sure you are seen by a doctor or an expert arranged by an attorney. Because you are seeking damages above and beyond the coverage of most auto insurance policies, you likely will need to pursue legal action to recover for pain and suffering, medical treatment, etc. Best of luck.

5. Kenneth P Doherty

16

6. Elliot S Coren

16

Answered . Hi

It is difficult to asnwer your question without knowing all the insurance policies in play. However, you can claim against the person causing the asccident as well as against the driver of your vehicle. I would advise not listening to anyone but your own lawyer as to what you can do. Hire an attorney. This is too complicated for you to try to handle yourself. Good luck.

Steve Coren

7. Antonios Kalogerakos

17

Answered . You can also file a claim with your own insurance, (or your passengers' insurance) for a partial uninsured motorists claim to cover the passengers. Contact an attorney ASAP to know all your options.

8. Andrew Daniel Myers

13

Answered . The Massachusetts Standard Auto Insurance Policy provides compulsory $20,000 coverage to you regardless of whether the operator or owner opted to purchase additional optional coverage. Call me and we will also go over any coverage that you may have or any other coverage that may be available. PIP, (Personal Injury Protection) covers up to $8,000 for medical bills and lost wages. Here's more:

9. Henry Lebensbaum

13

Answered . Contact a PI lawyer.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

10. Patrick J. Filan

Pro

14

Answered . Consult with an attorney. You may be able to file a claim with your own insurance,

11. Richard Carey Hyman

Pro

10

Answered . The standard automobile insurance policy in Massachusetts provides liability coverage for persons injured as a result of another's negligence. Depending on how the accident occurred, you may be able to pursue a claim against the insurance companies providing coverage for both the car you were in and the other car involved in the accident. You should also be covered by the $8,000 PIP benefits for medical bills incurred and wages lost as a result of the accident.

You should consult an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you on this matter.

12. Jeffrey R Caffee

8

Answered . Consult with an attorney because if the injuries are serious, there is far too much at stake to leave to chance.

13. Stacy E Pepper

Pro

4

Answered . I recommend you hire one of the local attorneys that have posted an answer to your question so you don't leave any money on the table.