Skip to main content

Personal injury

Dale City, VA |

I was hurt in a department store recently and was injured and risk management from the department store wants me to settle even though she said I contributed to my injury but she wanted me to give her an amount. Do I need a lawyer? I have been suffering with pain and now I feel like a rape victim in the terms they are attempting to blame the victim (me). I’m emotionally drained...and think I need to see a psychologist. Their gate caused an injury to my leg, I did not do anything but entered the department store to shop for clothes.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should probably consult with an experienced injury attorney here in Virginia. We are a 100% contributory negligence state. No one can give you any other advice about settlement without understanding all the facts.

Ben Glass is licensed in Virginia. He offers a number of free consumer book downloads at his site for information purposes only. You should consult an experienced, board certified attorney in your area. Obviously, no attorney client relationship is formed by participating in Avvo.



Please explain what this means..... 100% contributory negligence state.

Benjamin Weaver Glass III

Benjamin Weaver Glass III


in Virginia if you are found to be careless and that contributed to your injury you lose the case, even if only 1% negligent. thus 1% means a total bar to recovery


You should seek a free consultation from an experienced personal injury attorney. AVVO does offer a find a lawyer option. You can always expect the insurance company to assign a certain percentage of fault but you will not be treated fairly unless you have an attorney representing your interests. Good luck.


Personal injury cases are very fact oriented. Contributory negligence is an extremely common argument used by adjusters to diminish the value of your claim. The fact that they are offering to settle is a good sign. Regardless, you should definitely consult with a reputable personal injury attorney in your locality as soon as possible. Good luck!

This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney licensed in your state, that practices in the relevant area of law, to schedule an in-person consultation.


Yes, one of the above lawyers should investigate your claim.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer