Skip to main content

Personal injury, no tickets issued, pedestrian jumped behind a moving vehicle....the case was discontinued. how to find out if

New York, NY |

it was settled or paid out against my policy and then discontinued or discontinued without payout. I can't reach the lawyer or speak to the insurance company. and they really beat me up over this...was not my fault, but the insurance company blamed me, plaintiff discontinued, but I don't know if they were paid first....I didn't get any notices or anything from my old insurance company...but I think that they did pay out...and they shouldn't have..what can I do about this, beside contact the insurance company and the attorney, who was not reachable.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Sometimes the court records a settlement amount on the computer records. You can call the plaintiff's lawyer to see if they will tell you.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. Your insurance company should be able to give you more information.

    This answer is for general education purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is it intended to provide legal advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics