Personal Injury - Car Accident Body Tremors But Normal X-ray???

Asked almost 2 years ago - Baton Rouge, LA

Not sure if this is a bit off topic. Have any of you PI lawyers ever had a client who experienced extreme body shaking / tremors after a minor accident? I was a passenger.

The day of the accident, the car behind slammed us, causing me to bang my head EXTREMELY hard on the dashboard. I only had head swelling, eye sprain and knee pain.

However, about 1 to 2 weeks after being involved in this car accident, I awoke in the middle of the night, shaking uncontrollably. Last week (2 months after this accident) I went to ER, because after being outside in the cold for a few hrs, my body began this shaking again along with numbness & tingling. This time, it happened off & on for 2 days.

The x-rays didn't show anything. The doctor said he doubt it's from the accident but this never happened before

Pro

12

1

Answered . Yes, it may be a symptom of brain trauma. See a neurologist and retain a personal injury lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

9

1

Answered . X-rays will not reveal any problems with the brain. You need a neurologist and he should send you to get an EEG and a head scan. This may be so serious that you will want to call your doctor right away. Best of luck.

3. Mark John Caruso

Pro

8

1

Answered . So often I am asked this question..."What medical expenses can I get from the insurance company now that we know the collision wasn't my fault?" This is really an easy question to answer, because state law dictates what you are entitled to. However, just because you might be claiming a medical expense doesn't mean that you automatically get the money for those medical expenses. It is still up to you and your attorney to provide the insurance company with the facts and evidence to prove the damage.

Under the law of the state of New Mexico and most other states, medical expenses must be reasonable, necessary and a direct result of the injuries sustained in the collision.

The medical expenses must be reasonable in price compared to charges made by othere health care providers in the same community. This can be easily proven, and our firm has the annually published medical fees to help prove the reasonableness of the charges.

The medical expenses must be necessaryand needed because of the injury from the collision. No one would expect the insurance company to pay for a medical expense that you really didn't need. You are, however, required to mitigate your damage. That means that you are allowed to have diagnostic tests and examinations to determine whether you have an injury. If you have some pain that you didn't have before the collision, you are expected to take reasonable precaution to determine if you have an injury. If you ultimately determine that you don't have any injury, the insurance company will still pay for the cost of the examination and diagnostic x-rays and other tests.

The medical expenses must be a direct result of the injuries sustained in the collision. You can't ask the insurance company to pay for anything that their driver didn't cause. However, they must also pay for the aggravation of a previous injury. As an example, let's say that your leg already had degenerative problems because of your age. It really didn't cause you any problems before the accident, but the twisting of the leg in the accident required you to now have physical therapy and ultimately a surgery. You aggravated the degenerative condition so now you must have the extra medical care. This would be a valid claim against the insurance company. The medical records provided by your doctor should clearly indicate that the medical care was needed as a result of the collision. If it doesn't state this on the records, then you should contact your doctor or his/her staff immediately to determine what he/she believes was the cause of the injury in the first place.

Once you have finished all of your treatment, it is realitively easy to determine your total medical expenses. You need to use the retail price of the medical expenses, not the amount paid by your health insurance or the amount you paid as a deductible or co-pay. It is usually a simple addition of the charges.

Sometimes doctors will state that you need to get extra money from the insurance company for future medical expenses. An example would be a doctor stating that you need one physical therapy visit per month for a total of 12 more months. You would need to calculate the cost of each visit and multiply times the number of visits the doctor says that you need and you then have an additional number for future medical care. Again, the same rules apply to future medical expenses that apply to the past medical expenses. The future medical expenses must be reasonable, necessary and a direct result of the collision.

4. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

1

Answered . I think you need to see a board certified neurologist to check out your situation. Years ago I had a 17-year-old male client involved in an accident who later developed hand tremors which the physician was able to relate to the force of the impact. Your situation sounds much more extreme, and I think a neurologist would be the place to start. The head trauma you sustained sounds significant; I would not minimize it as you have done in your statement..

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.