Personal injury , malpractice issue. Time running out to file. Is there something simple to file to avoid missing out?

Asked 7 months ago - Huntsville, AL

I live in Alabama and have been struggling to get well with no relief. I feel no one wants to sue local doctors for obvious mistakes. I have wanted to file but keep getting run-around when trying to find someone to help represent me. Time just keeps on ticking. Can a simple complaint be filed to keep me from going over the deadline? Can I file it myself?

1. Josh P Tolin

6

Answered . There is no such thing as a simple complaint. No, do not represent yourself. Be persistent. If you are having problems retaining an attorney, you may not have a strong case. Attorneys who do a lot of malpractice, don't usually have issues suing local doctors.Good luck to you.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

6

Answered . It is in your best interest to have an attorney. What you feel may be an "obvious mistake" might not be one at all and simply might be a known risk associated with whatever procedure you had. You will need expert medical testimony to back up your claims of malpractice, and I guarantee that without an attorney, you have little chance of finding such an expert to help you.

3. L. Maxwell Taylor

6

Answered . Generally speaking, every medical malpractice plaintiff has to prove the doctor breached the standard of care, and that the breach of the standard of care caused the damages in the case. And in all but the most obvious cases (wrong limb amputated, for example), expert physician testimony "to a reasonable degree of medical certainty," is required in order to prove these things. A litigant who does not produce such expert physician testimony on standard of care, breach, and damage causation will in all probability have his case dismissed without ever going to trial.

Not legal advice, just my two cents. I neither practice law in Alabama or hold licensure there. Consult Alabama counsel if you need legal advice. I practice in Vermont ONLY.

4. David J. McCormick

4

Answered . When it comes to medical malpractice there is no one size fits all approach. If you are having trouble finding a local attorney then try looking in a nearby city.

Pro

1

Answered . Best bet is to retain a lawyer today...