Permanent Resident wanting to have legal alias / change name for use in the US only

Asked almost 5 years ago - Seattle, WA

I am a Permanent Resident of the US. I would like to change my legal name, but this might not be the right option since I am still a Citizen of another country and would probably be better to keep everything as is for the other country. I would like to be able to use a new legal name for everything in the US though. It might have been easier if I were a US Citizen, I could just totally change my name legal. I would like to see whether there is an option such as legal alias that I could use for all US related paperwork. Could you give me some advice as to what I could do and how? Thank you in advance.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Janet Holste Cheetham


    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should check at the local district court as the process to change your name is relatively easy if it is not done for fraudulent purposes. Then, you can show this certificate when you apply for citizenship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,888 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,888 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering