Permanent resident of the US through marriage with US citizen for less than 2 years, then about to divorce

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I've been married to my US citizen woman on 02/02/2011 and become conditional permanent resident (2 year green card) on 09/14/2011. I have a 2 year conditional green card and we are about to divorce because I caught my wife cheating on me and I wanna file for divorce. Will it affect my 2 years conditional permanent residency? if we divorce now ,can I file for the 10 years permanent resident card now?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must get divorced first and then you can apply for the 10 year permanent green card. The process can take up to 1 year or you may be interviewed again before they issue you the permanent card. Once you divorce is finalized you file for the waiver. You must proof that you entered the marriage for bona fide reasons and that she caused the break up with adultery would also help you.

  2. Theodore S. Huang

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Calehr. Just wanted to add examples of supporting docs one may submit to show proof of a bona fide marriage: 1) docs showing joint ownership of property; 2) Lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; 3) docs showing commingling of financial resources; 4) Birth certificates of children born to the applicant and his spouse; 5) Affidavits of third parties regarding legitimacy of the marital relationship.

    The best thing you can do for yourself is to work with an immigration attorney who can prepare a strong application showing that the marriage was bona fide and not entered into for an immigration benefit. Best wishes!

    Theodore Huang, Esq. 626.244.7357. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established.... more
  3. Heather Roberts Majam

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues that you may still be able to lift the conditions from your residency by filing a waiver after the divorce is final.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,198 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,198 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering