Permanent resident/ registered & voted 9 yrs ago by mistake . Now want to file N400. Does he fit the 5 years statutory period?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Monte, CA

In June 2004, I got my permanent resident card. At local library, election booth offered me to register to vote. I didn’t know if I could as I came to the USA 2 months ago & I don’t even speak Eng./understand. I showed my green card & ID. She said yes you can. I just followed election official told me. I though it’s my duty to USA. I got the ballot & voted in the Presi. Election in Nov.04. Then in 2007 I was filling N400 & saw this question about voting & I stopped & didn’t file the N400. I learned that it was a mistake & read about voting law. & immediately I removed my name from voter registration. So since then I never file N400. I have very good moral standing & I don’t even have a single traffic ticket, or any violation. I have an excellent credit. Now 9 yrs later & I want to file N400?

1. Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff

4

Answered . If you file the N-400 stating that you made a false claim to U.S. citizenship and voted in an election there is a high probability that your naturalization application will be denied and you will be put in removal proceedings. There are very few effective defenses to false claims to citizenship charges and no waivers. There may be a possibility of cancellation of removal if you qualify.

YOU MUST SEE A QUALIFIED IMMIGRATION LAWYER BEFORE YOU PROCEED WITH ANY APPLICATIONS TO CIS OR ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT AGENCY THAT YOU MADE A FALSE CLAIM TO U.S. CITIZENSHIP.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . If you informed the authorities about the error, you may be OK.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . That is a major problem.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.