Permanent Residency and Citizenship

Asked 5 months ago - League City, TX

My grandfather was born in the US and my father (born in Mexico) is already a permanent resident and he is applying for citizenship.
The attorney hired by my father (he lives in another city) told him that he should start by filing form I-130 on my behalf for permanent residency and after he gets citizenship he could modify the P.R. process and change it so I can apply for citizenship... He swears that in 4 months or so I will get an answer instead of the current 20-year delay in Mexican cases... I am single and over 21 years old and currently under a J-1 visa... is the lawyer saying the truth?

1. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

Answered . We would need more information on the year of birth of your grandfather, number of years your father spent in the U.S. to see if he derived citizenship and then determine what if any benefit that would be to you.

2. Chung Yuan Lee

Pro

Answered . I agree with the above answers, there is not enough information to fully determine whether your attorney is right.

3. Rizwan M Khalid

1

Answered . We need more info. You need to schedule an appointment with an attorney to get 2nd opinion. Skype consultations are also offered. Good luck