Skip to main content

Permanent residence, naturalization citizenship and employment question. Without knowing, my green card expired a few months

Bedford Hills, NY |

Ago..However, since I have been a permanent residence for over 10 years and I want to be currently employed. Should I apply to renew my expired permanent residence card OR just directly apply to for citizenship. (Form N400)? INSTEAD of renewing my permanent residence card..? Is one process faster than the other? What is the average processing time of each? Meanwhile, what can I do or ask for certain papers to be employed , have a job? (Considering my permanent residence card is expired) What options are there so I avoid any issues with possible employment, (While I apply to renew my green card or apply for citizenship)?
Kind regards

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The rule is you must have 6 months or longer left on your permanent resident card to apply for citizenship without renewing your PR card. I would definitely file I-90 to replace the PR card; when you go for fingerprinting do an INFOPASS to also get a passport stamp as evidence of your PR status for work. I would recommend you also file for citizenship (N-400) unless there is a reason you would not be eligible..

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

  2. Maybe, just for the sake of an argument, there is a third way - consult with an experienced immigration attorney so you would not feel insecure about what to do and would not need to post requests for free legal advice on a forum where it is only appropriate to ask for general information.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. It would be in your best interest to talk to an immigration attorney in person.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics