Per MCL 554.613, does this include not just the security deposit but all charges?

Asked over 2 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

We recieved an outrageous move out bill from our prior landlord and disputedt his within the 7 days we were allowed, however, the landlord has still not responded other than e-mails saying they are "looking into it, will get back with us, waiting for invoices" etc... it will be 45 days tomorrow from our move out day. If the landlord has still not filed suit, does that mean we are not liable for ALL charges or just the security deposit? (charges were roughly $1,800, deposit was $200).

1. Christine Marie Heckler

3

Answered . As I read this section, the landlord has 45 days to bring an action for damages (even those damages above and beyond the security deposit) or else such claim is deemed waived. However, the penalty for the landlord failing to either file a claim or return your security deposit would be limited to double the security deposit amount (i.e. $400.00).

2. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . Agreed. The landlord would not be able to sue for damages and he would be liable for up to double the value of the security deposit.

James Frederick

3. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

Answered . I agree with these fine attorneys. I just want to make sure you have a copy of this great resource put out by the State of Michigan. It is a Landlord/Tenant Guide and has great answers for this and other issues related to renting in Michigan. Here is the link for a free copy:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publica...