People who I do not know insult me and spread false rumors.

Atlanta, GA |

I am currently a college student.

People who live near my house and students in campus insult me, and I do not know them.

I asked them how they recognize me, but they said they did not insult me and do not know me.

Thus, I recorded what people said, and I let my parent and my sister listen to what I recored.

They heard same things from the records as what I heard.

I want to know who started this and how to solve this problem by law.

1. There is not legal right to not be insulted or to not be subjected to rude comments. You need to speak with your parents and get guidance from them.

2. I agree that there is no legal right not to be insulted. All americans do, however, enjoy the right to freedom of speech, even if what is said is deplorable in nature. Unless you could show that these false rumors are being made intentionally to cause you financial damages, and you are actually suffering financial damages as a result, you likely will not have a cause of action against any individual.

3. Sorry but there is no legal issue here, there is no legal right to not be insulted. I second both attorneys before me. I wish you the best in your college career.

4. There is no right not to be insulted. So the answer is that you cannot stop people from not liking you. However, when you react, as you have here, it encourages the type people who like to do such things. Ignore them, and the problem, which is not a legal problem, will often go away.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman - additional contact details linked via my profile on AVVO)

5. While there is no right to not be insulted, if you learn people are saying false and malicious rumors about you, you may have a claim for slander (if it's verbal) or defamation if the comments are posted on Facebook, etc. Good luck!