Pennsylvania landlord tenant question?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

i mailed my ex landlord a certified letter with apartment keys and my new address for
return of security deposit and last months rent, i got an email from the post office that she refused the letter, what do i do now?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Adam S. Bernick

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An attorney would need to review the lease and obtain a detailed chronology of what happened when, but you may have a right to commence litigation in court for return of your security deposit. My recollection is that you may be entitled to double the security deposit if certain conditions are met. So have a consultation with an attorney on how to proceed.

  2. Michael Thomas Muha

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your ex-landlord has 30 days to submit a list of repairs to you if he wishes to hold any portion of your security deposit. If they do not mail you a list or return the security deposit in full, then you can sue your ex-landlord for double the security deposit.

    You should contact an attorney who can analyze your lease and give you proper advice for your area. Good luck.

    Michael T. Muha, Esquire
    The Law Office of Michael T. Muha, Esquire
    Hermitage, PA 16148

    Disclaimer: This response does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Refusal of mail is not the same as never receiving mail, some Courts hold that out as good service. Moreover, if you mailed it to an address identified in the lease, then you should be safe. Your landlord’s refusal to return the security deposit or provide a list of itemized damages means that the landlord may have waived any right to deduct damages from that deposit and you might be entitled to double the deposit damages and should consider going to small claims court

    Note, in Pennsylvania, a security deposit of greater than $100 is required to be held in a Federally regulated escrow account and the landlord is required notify each of the tenants in writing, giving the name and address of the banking institution in which such deposits are held. Furthermore, if the funds are held for more than two years, they must be placed in an interest bearing escrow account. As an alternative to maintaining the funds in an interest bearing escrow savings account, a landlord is permitted to secure those sums with a bond, however, the interest must still be awarded to the tenant. At the end of each rental year, the landlord is required to pay interest dividends to the tenant. Finally, the landlord may hold no more than two months rent as security in the first year of the lease and may hold no more than one months rent as security for any year thereafter. For more information on security deposits, see the below link.

    Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

    Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

    Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063


    All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself,... more
  4. William Ray Pelger

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not entirely sure, but a district justice may find the refusal as good service or meeting the service requirement. Also, if you did not send another duplicate letter out by regular mail, you can do that. IF it is not returned by the PO as not a good address, then that is further/additional proof of service which will make your case stronger.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,311 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,311 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering