Pennsylvania Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion help

Asked over 2 years ago - Beaver Falls, PA

My father owned a house in Mercer County which qualified for a Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion in previous years. He passed away last year and I'm executor for his estate. I just received a property tax bill and there is no Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion listed on the tax bill.

By adult brother and I will inherit the house when the estate is settled. My brother lived there when my father was alive and still resides there. I have never resided there. Does this property qualify for an exclusion or partial exclusion since one of the future owners lives there? I've read up on the exclusion but couldn't find any information pertaining to this particular situation or when a property is part of the probate process.

1. Jennifer Carroll Johnson

1

Answered . Does your brother own other property that he is already claiming a homestead exclusion on? If not, he may apply for the homestead exclusion. Your brother should be the applicant, as he is one of the owners and intends to live there as his primary residence.