Pending I485 Interview

New York, NY |

We had our I485 interview last week. It is adjustment of status of visa overstay foreign national married to US Citizen.

The interview was generally fine. At the end, the interviewing officer said "you should get your card soon." In response we asked whether we were approved and he said "I don't see any reason why not." But then as we were preparing to leave his office he said " I still have not made my decision." And then when we gave him the I94, he said "I dont need that at this time. Maybe another time."

Our lawyer also agreed that the I94 comment was a bit peculiar. Can anyone here comment on legal implications of needing I94 in the future? Can that be a reference to follow-up Stokes interview or Naturalization Interview?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

It's possible that the officer was comfortable with the information provided in the application and that if he or she needs more information (like the I-94) that they will issue a request for additional evidence. From what you wrote above, it sounds like the officer was feeling generally good about the case, but not yet ready to issue a decision without fully reviewing the file. I agree with my colleague to wait and see if you receive a decision or any requests in the mail.

Ellie Mosko Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: ellie.mosko@ellisporter.com The information I provide on Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship

Your and your attorney's guesses on this one will be as good as ours here. Wait and see. USCIS has 90 days after an interview during which to render a decision.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Why would you seek advice from attorneys who know absolutely nothing about your case when you have an attorney who knows your case?

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

just wait and see. I-94 is typically kept but not always. It also could have been a figure of speech

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Marriage and prenups topics